Friday, February 28, 2014

Now, call me foolish, call me irresponsible, but it seems to me that there's a new Jack Kirby community on Facebook...

I joined the newest Jack Kirby fan page on Facebook.  It's called simply "Jack Kirby!" and so far, so good.  I'm a little hesitant to engage fully because of my bad experience with the last Jack Kirby fan page I joined.  This one has a lot of big name professionals actively posting there and so far I've learned a great deal about page sizes and blue line pencils versus graphite.

Okay, I already knew a lot about page sizes and pencils, but it's exactly this kind of shop talk I crave.  You know, rather than a lot of insults and guys tenaciously and even furiously arguing minutia as if they were part of the UN Security Council and the Soviets had just put nuclear missiles in Cuba.  I don't know, maybe some people crave exactly that kind of interaction, but for me that stuff smells of locker rooms and sausage parties.  No thanks.

The brief on this page promises "no BS," and I hope that holds.  I want to look at Jack Kirby's art and glean a positive vibe from people discussing its merits-- or even the occasional mistake or odd element-- in a spirit of fun.  And I want to learn of the craft from people who know what they're talking about.  I can get more than my fill of ignorance right here, reading my own blog!

No comments: